Thursday, April 21, 2011

E 44: Behave Friday

The streets are almost empty and the sun is glaring at everyone. There is a chorus of virtual silence among many houses and people seem to be found in hidden places. Later on, some of these people are found in a massive line of devoters following a car of a statue of the mourning Virgin Mary. This is the usual scene one usually encounters on a Good Friday.
Suddenly, I started wondering how one feels on that day. I'm guessing some would say that they feel sad because Christ died on that day. But for me, we must be thankful. This is the day that Christ was able to save us from our sins. It was the day when He did something that changed countless lives. Why should we be sad? His death was never a loss for Him nor for anyone. It was our salvation and He did that for us.
I may sound a little preachy now and this isn't the usual me. Actually, I was highly religious back when I was a teen and my second favorite subject in high school was Christian Living (because I studied in a Catholic school). Many thought that I would be a priest someday. But I ended up preaching in blogs instead.

I just can't take my beliefs away from me despite becoming skeptical in many things and having a more open mind. Still, I believe in one God and I love Christ. The rest is in question.
One thing I would like to question is why do we need to avoid taking a bath after the time that Christ died? Did He ever said we do that? Will that save us from our sins? No. That's just plain superstition and if I'm not mistaking, it is practiced only in the Philippines. Why do we have so many superstitions about not taking a bath? Are we trying to make an excuse when someone smells our odor?
No matter what, I'm going to take a shower beyond 3PM. God will still love me despite me disliking the damp season.

No comments:

Post a Comment