Wednesday, April 20, 2011

E 42: Please Like

Facebook has made liking an easy thing to do on the Internet. With just one click, one can like a photo, a video post, or a status. It's easier clicked than done, I guess. But with the "Like" button, the term "like" has created a different meaning. 
Before, it takes something pleasurable or enjoyable for us to like something. But with a simple click now on Facebook, one can already express the feeling of liking towards a specific stuff no matter how one feels about it. Afterall, where else can you find sharing of many things that can be interesting. One can instantly like a note that a friend wrote, or a funny TV ad via link on one's wall, or even a status of someone who just became single for the nth time. This probably makes us realize how positive one can be; there are so many things that we can like. Now, don't get me started on having a dislike button--who knows what that button will uncover.

I've received messages from friends telling me to "like" their photos, statuses, or fan pages. I usually respond with what I call the "magical question": WHY?
"Nothing, sir. Just like it."
And then I would not reply anymore. I would just check it out if I like it or not.
I just don't get the fact that there are people who force others to "like" their posts. I mean, you cannot LIKE something that you don't really LIKE, right? Not that Facebook has really changed the meaning of liking, but still, for me, I can't like something that is nothing for me. I only agree to press the like button when someone joins a contest and asks for "likes" to win--because I do LIKE them to win.
There is also a rise of a new mannerism, which is when people thank others for liking. Sure, it's cool to know that people like your posts but sometimes, there are feelings that do not require one's gratitude. People are not doing you a favor for liking your posts--they just like those posts. You can just be glad they liked it, but you don't have to comment on your own posts everytime someone clicks "like" to it. 
It just looks really foolish. And to remind people, when you comment on something to thank someone for liking, there is no notification to them that they will know that you thanked them. That's like so 2010.

Liking has surely gone virtual and I'm not really sure now how to define it. But surely, it's fun having to click posts just to express one's good feeling towards something. Facebook is trying to become everything (like Google), so it might as well start including human feelings in its features. Say, can we have not just "friends" list but also have a list of crushes online? Hmmmm.. How about a "shut up" button for annoying statuses?

No comments:

Post a Comment