Tuesday, April 19, 2011

E 41: Ideal Opponent

What are fights for? Relationships (I mean connections between people, not just lovers) are boring without fights. In some ways, there are really times that we clash with others' opinions and thoughts.
I have experienced a lot of arguments. If there are ideal partners in a relationships, I have my own ideal debate opponent. On top of my standards is someone who has an open mind. One of my favorites is my friend Gabby. She doesn't argue for the sake of winning, but just to get her point across, which is what I also do.
In my experience, there are people who think that I just want to be the "right" one in arguments. That is never true. Not everything I say is correct. It just so happens that either I was indeed correct or the other just couldn't find a wormhole in my ground though there can be. When I defend myself, it doesn't mean I am always correct. I just give my point. But unlike some, I'm always ready to listen to the opposition at hand. And, I am ready to accept anytime that I'm wrong GIVEN the proper counter attack. There are just people who think that FIGHTS are for the sake of WINNING. Yes, somebody wins, but that's not the point of arguing. It's about hearing each other's side and discovering what's really right, and even compromising. To spot a person with a weak stand is some who:

1. Goes off-topic (i.e. Argument about who is a smarter student then the other just suddenly yells at you that you're gay)
2. Someone who resorts to violence because he or she just lost relevant and logical ammunition.
3. Someone who says "whatever," "fine," or "okay, you won." This annoys me the most because it reflects a closed mind from a person who stops listening because he or she just can't contradict you anymore and just wants to end the argument without compromising.
No wonder there are wars. It's because people start to act like animals who just want to prove that they are stronger and that they can win just for the sake of eating the other. That's not what fighting is about. It's about fixing what's wrong and finding a solution to it. Of course, getting mad is part of it, but letting our emotions conquer us disrupts our ability to think logically. You see, you also have an inner argument as you go through the process. And that's healthy. You need to also contradict yourself to know your own weakness, to know when to stop, or to know how to make yourself stronger.
These are not fight rules. These are just my opinions. Of course, when fights begin, we usually lose ourselves. It's up to us how we deal with our emotions, with our opponent, and with ourselves. Still, we have to keep in mind that we ought to be on the right track, not on something off and wrong (read: illogical and violent).

No comments:

Post a Comment