Friday, May 6, 2011

E 58: Mama

Exactly a year ago, I received two call that gave me exact opposite feelings and played with my security. The first call, in the middle of the day, came from my new employer, telling me that I was hired for this new job. The second call came from my father, telling me that my mother was already in a bad condition in the hospital.
I rushed my way there and found my father holding some sort of device that pumped air into my mother's mouth. Just the sight of it already defined what the day was in store for us--excuse me for being morbid that time. I stood beside him, saw my mother's eyes closed, and her breathing was really weak. The device was the only thing that kept her breathing according to my father. We took turns in pumping it.
A male doctor gave an impression of the Grim Reaper as he bowed down and told me that my mother would not last long anymore.

My siblings arrived, hours passed, and we were all there for our mother. Sadly, the youngest, the only girl among us, stood outside because kids were not allowed inside.
Mom's brother and mother arrived. Later on, the end of a great life has arrived. We suddenly noticed that mom was too quiet. Father told me to call the doctors. I couldn't find the words to say; How can you utter to them that your mother's dying?
The next thing I knew, doctors were around the bed, they were trying to revive her. It went on for almost half an hour. My little sister helplessly stood outside, at the glass door, not knowing what was happening. After all, there was already nothing.
Nothing.
Two feelings conquered my heart: Sadness for the loss of a person who inspired me a lot in life and relief that she no longer suffers from her illness. I stood there beside my brother as we looked at the horror the hospital have painted on her on the last day. She could have passed away in some more peaceful manner.

I started to look at medical technology as monsters that can either help or destroy you.
Days after, it was mother's day. It was quite different then that we greeted her as she only laid in a box and that my little sister and I couldn't playfully hug her anymore.
Before we start looking for love that we can have for the rest of our lives, let us not always forget to look back to the love that raised us unconditionally: the love of a good mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment