Thursday, May 5, 2011

E 56: Oops Pinoy Music

The Original Pinoy Music is known for a lot of ballads and most of them, like 96%, are about love. Maybe it proves that Pinoys fancy the idea of love most of the time or maybe it proves how eager we are to continue increasing population rate. But the thing that matter to many of us Pinoys could be love, right?
So, I wonder about the daily struggles.
The reason why I barely favor any Pinoy singers is that most of them are divas and balladeers--not my kind of performers. They don't appeal to me though I must say some of them have incredible voice. Regine Velasquez doesn't awe me. She belts out her voice most of the time that it gets boring. It's like seeing Meryl Streep act damn well in many movies that you are no longer thrilled or surprised (the Meryl Streep syndrome, is that what they call it? Am I right?). Plus, they sing the same stuff over and over: being heartbroken, being inlove, having a hard time in a relationship--their lyrics are bombarded with cliches that any song could contain them. music nor the voice. And aside from those, these artists don't become popular for their OWN songs but for covering OTHERS' songs. Wait, are they even popular?

There came a time that many singers created albums which contain revivals. It's like making them sing in videokes and recording them--tadaa! Instant albums. Where's the effort in making music?
Then, we start having recording artists with no singing talent. Who would believe that Willie Revillame's album sold a lot of copies to put him on a top spot? My ass.
I also find it weird when celebrities have albums made for them. You only hear them speak in their albums. As far as I know, only singers make albums for music. I don't really get the sense of listening to someone saying quotes and words that they just want to express. Let someone sing them or write a book.
Not that I want OPM to become an array of pop music. I just think that we need a little adventure with how we create music. We cannot box ourselves in ballads alone. If that's the case, everyone will sound the same. There's ought to a variation. We need more--MUSIC is larger than plain ol' belting out voices along with the usual minus one tapes. Oh, sorry, were there producers?

No comments:

Post a Comment